Naomi Stolow photography, nature, wildlife and travel

27 October 2011

Mukti Ashram

Situated on the outskirts of Delhi, Mukti Ashram is an immediate shelter for the children who are rescued from Delhi and its surroundings. They are immediately provided with medical help, food, clothing, recreational facilities, sports, theatre and counselling during their stay, until the legal formalities are completed and they are repatriated and reunited with their families.

The children here have all been rescued from working 12-14 hour days in zari, embroidery, bindi making, batch making or leather shoe manufacturing units. When working, the children are not allowed to go out of small rooms stuffed with 3 adults and often rest of the children from their villages. They are all only given 2 x 10 minute breaks each working day to eat lunch and dinner. All with no daylight.

I was interviewing one 7 year old boy who had been rescued from his job of stitching shoes. He talked openly about his work, about overtime, just like an adult. He suddenly asked if I was coming back to Mukti Ashram, and I replied that I hoped I would be able to sometime the next year. Then I pointed out to him that he was going home, back to his village, that very next day and leaving the Ashram. He pondered this for a few seconds, grinned widely and then said 'You come to my village for lunch?' This made me both very happy and sad, as in reality - much as I would if I could, it is unlikely.

It is an incredible place, full of vitality and life. I saw children reunited with their parents there - something I will never forget.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: